Wednesday 25 July 2012

Knit Club

"Knit Club - like Fight Club only cooler (obviously!)"

A while ago I blogged about my love of knitting (Old Lady Hobbies) and I promised you that I would keep you all updated on my progress on certain items.  Well the day job took over and I didn't do much knitting or crocheting as I was as busy as a bee getting the Black Nell Robe out to all you lucky girls.  With the shock return of summer in the UK, I decided to have a day off to enjoy the sun, meet up with a fellow knitting enthusiast and do a little more knitting.

The gorgeous Ellen of B Millinery and I decided to meet up and have a picnic in a London park and bring our knitting along.  The picture to the right is a picture of the cardigan that I have been working on (as has Ellen but she has run out of yarn eeek).  It is a vintage pattern that I picked up via Ellen on ravelry.  Ellen and I particularly wanted to knit this cardigan as it is almost identical to one that Miss Lemon wears on an episode of Poirot.  Well being a HUGE Agatha Christie fan we just had to knit it!

(Interestingly this particular Miss Lemon cardi has been used in an episode of Miss Marple and another BBC period programme - obviously a fav in the BBC costume department)

Here are some pictures of the fabulous day that I had in London.

Do you like my Christmas napkins ;-) it's all I had!
Being as poor as a church mouse we brought our own picnic to London so we didn't have to spend too much money.  So we set up our picnic mat in a shady spot in a London park.  Not being very observant I can't remember what the park is called, but I can direct you to it!  Ellen and I didn't fancy going on the tube to somewhere like Hyde Park, so we walked out of Waterloo Train Station towards the Southbank.  A quick hop over a bridge and we found a little park just by the Embankment Tube Station.  By then I was sweating like a P.I.G so we quickly got out the picnic to find our drinks.  I had made frozen Pimms the night before.  If you want to make some all I did was mix cloudy lemonade with Pimms and pour it into a plastic drinking bottles.  Don't fill the drinks bottles all the way to the top (water expands as it freezes) otherwise the bottle will split int freezer.  Then I just popped it into my freezer the night before the picnic.  The next day I took them out and used them as ice blocks in my picnic hamper.  Et voila you are killing two birds with one stone; the picnic is kept nice and cool and by the time you set up the picnic in a nice London park, the Pimms mix will have melted slightly to create a Pimms slushy!  Prefect!!  I was also pleasantly surprised that the lemonade was still fizzy even after freezing.  That slushy stuff in a cup with a spoon is the Pimms by the way ;-).

Here is the lovely Ellen (right) looking all pretty and 'glowing', she didn't seem to sweat like I did.  I WANT TO KNOW HER SECRET!!!!  Despite being the hottest day of the year, Ellen remained perfectly composed and cool all day.  The other piccy is me after I had had time to cool down and a glass of Pimms slushie.  I also had made little butterfly cakes as our sweet treat at the picnic.  This however did not stop me having to stop at the Krispy Kreme stall at Waterloo on the way home.  Well I had been very good and not spent any money in London up to this point!!!




It was really lovley just sitting in a shady spot eating, chatting and relaxing enjoying the warm weather.  I was also really impressed with the general atmosphere in London.  I am not a fan of the Olympics as I am not in any way a sporty person - apart from Tennis which I do like.  So the thought of thousands of extra people in London on one of the hottest days ever does not fill me with joy.  But I have to say the atmosphere in London was lovely.  Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and there was lots going on, especially on the Southbank.  If you can bear the crowds I urge you to head down there to see what they have going on.  I'm glad I did venture into London at this busy time as it was really lovely to enjoy the pre Olympic atmosphere and all that London has to offer culturally.  I am an Olympic convert ;-).  Anyway back to knit club!  I did manage to get some knitting done and finished the back panel of my Miss Lemon cardi.  Here it is:

I have been trying to find a cardigan in this shade of sunny yellow to no avail so decided to knit one instead!  Much better for the soul to knit it than to buy one.  Here is is on the person for those of you not in the know about how clothes look in their basic form.
Just two sleeves and two front sections to go ;-) haha.  Ellen was doing some knitting too, working on a particularly lovely lacey 30's number, but I am a bit of a rubbish blogger and forgot to take a pic of it.  Sorry!!  After a lovely day soaking up the happiness of a sunny London, I was impressed when I caught sight of myself whilst checking my lippy in my compact.  My new mascara had not slid off my face as it usually does.  I think I may do a review post on this particular mascara as it is AMAZING!  So look out for that :-).  In the meantime, why not treat yourself to the summery nightwear set that is the Bridgette Babydoll Set ;-).  You see Betty Blue's Loungerie has a solution to every weather eventuality, come rain or shine.

Lots of Love
Betty xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment